Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Star of the Month

Every month at preschool a child is picked from each classroom to be the "Star of the Month". They are asked to make a poster with information about themselves like when they were born, about their family, favorite colors, activities, movies etc. Their poster is hung outside the classroom doors for everyone to look at. Since October Gar has asked me every month if it was his turn yet, so when we got the note this month he was so excited to help me make a poster!

We left Sean and Adi home one night and we ran to the store to gather our supplies. I've got all these ideas on how it should look and what I'll need so we head to the artsy aisle and I begin to search, but I should know better, Gar's got his own ideas about how this poster should look. I have a quick conversation with myself to remind me that this poster is all about him so I should listen to what he wants. Simply put, he wants stickers on it, stickers of Transformers, Spider-Man and Batman. He wants nothing to do with what I have found and what I think should be on the poster. Letting it go......this is about him and not how cute I want this poster to be. So come Monday morning Gar marches into school with his poster, upside down/sideways stickers and all and presents it to his teacher. All the kids came over to take a look and Gar was beside himself with all the attention being directed right at him but I know secretly he loved it! Here are most of the pictures that we included on his poster.

In our house we cheer for.....

Gar loves the tub, always has

Drink, Pacifier and Blanket...life is good

Indiana Jones and Power Ranger


Gar loves to........

play on the Wii

swim

fish

play Baseball with Daddy

jump on the trampoline (especially with his cousins!)

ride his bike (or scooter)

play in the snow

throw rocks

boating


Making this poster with Gar has reminded me of how lucky I am to be his Mom! I like to tease Sean that we are raising his Mini-Me, but he is an amazing combination of both Sean and I (all the good parts of course!). He is an extremely independent child which sometimes is very frustrating trying to parent him yet makes it easier for us to parent. I've learned to pick my battles and let him make his own decision, who cares if he wears navy blue and black together(I do actually but I let him wear it and comment that it doesn't match in hopes that next time he won't put that combination together), he's happy right? He is a mover and a shaker and tirelessly on the go (he did however get the Milne sleep gene and usually puts himself to bed). He is our constant helper and worker bee in the house. Boy are we in trouble if we dare turn the dishwasher on ourselves and don't even think of scrubbing the toilets without him(he definitely got the clean gene from his Dad and Grandma Nancy)! He is Sean's constant companion and wants to do EVERYTHING that Daddy is doing. He wants to do and try it all but everything is on his terms. Gar has really taken to Preschool and absolutely loves to do his art projects and learn. His teachers always give glowing reports and comment on how well behaved he is, always willing to help. I don't think a day goes by that Sean and I don't look at each other and crack up laughing at something Gar has done or said. This four year old does a heart good.....everyone should have one!!

No comments: